Pages

Saturday, February 28, 2015

What I Learned in February

The view from my mailbox

Let's look back as we head into March. Here are some things I learned in February:

1. The Pacific Northwest has actually had some of the best weather in America. You've probably seen the news or are experiencing the nasty winter most of the country is living through. The school where my Nashville daughter teaches has been cancelled at least eight days due to ice and snow, my family in Indiana is SO COLD, and then there’s Boston. 


2. Good things come to an end. T.V. shows and football...
Parenthood is officially over. I don't want to spoil it for those of you who haven't caught up. If you did watch the finale, did you like the way it ended?

Pic source~NBC.com

Football season has ended. The Seahawks. Were. So. Close. I love our Hawks and despite not liking the way the Superbowl game ended I am a proud 12th Mama!


3. When your daughter gets her wisdom teeth removed, several things might happen:
Maternal instinct kicks in and you wake up every four hours to see if she needs more pain killers or ice. Since you try not to eat much solid food right in front of her it's an excuse to have an hour date with hubby for dinner. Couch time means movie time. I’ve watched more movies in the last 24 hours then I have in the last months. So far we’ve watched: Four Christmases, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Divergent, Vanity Fair, Belle, Willy Wonka~”Life had never been sweeter…" and now we have Stuart Little on. "That's no mouse, that's my brother."

4. Pinterest is actually helpful for more than dreaming and pinning. I had some Mom friends over for a Valentine Party and we packed care packages for our college daughters. My contribution was woven felt hearts and homemade scrub and they said I was pretty crafty. Yay! I can follow directions!

5. Food Network and HGTV are super motivating! I watched an episode of the Pioneer Woman and made her scones and Cowboy quiche for my friends. Yummy!! 

6. Twice this month I’ve wished I was more like Mary. The first had to do with the Mary in the bible parable of Mary vs. Martha. I am doing a bit better about being consistent spending time with God in the morning, but I still need to learn to have my priorities in order. The second Mary was Mary Crawley from Downton Abbey. She was super excited when she got her new shorter haircut; she felt beautiful and powerful. I, on the other hand, decided to get a new haircut and it turned out to be quite a bit shorter than I asked for expected. Even though I’ve received some compliments including a few “it makes you look younger” comments (my personal favorite!) I am still sort of missing my longer length… 
Picture source~Bing
7. This month ended with my husband and I attending a powerful “celebration of life” service for the son of our friends. Such an amazing life Aaron squeezed into 26 years and his story has touched SO many. Listening to one of the ICU nurses speak I was reminded how grateful I am for health care professionals who can give care and keep from “falling apart.” I am not able to separate my emotions from anything. Thankfully God can figure out things I can do even though I cry...

Every minute of life is precious and is a gift. It's all about love and knowing God is writing our stories. 

"Don't just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good. Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other." 
Romans 12:9-10 (NLT)

I'm linking up with Emily P. Freeman at Chatting at the Sky. Please join me. What did you discover during the month of February?

In His Grip,  Jane xo
Thanks for stopping by See Jane Learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment