Pages

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

What I learned in 2014

Wycliff champagne is yummy and very affordable!

Tick-tock goes the clock...and another year is about to go! I’m pausing to look back on what I’ve learned over the last 12 months and share some favorite events.

Although saying goodbye to your young-adult kids never gets easier, knowing they’re happy makes it easier to accept. I wrote about moving my oldest daughter to Nashville here, and a year later she’s thriving and has a new job teaching first graders.


I have learned that having four children ALL attend the same University makes me somewhat of an expert in all things Pirate-Mom related. You can read more about my nine years as a Whitworth University parent here.


Separate beds? No. Separate shows? Quite often. After 31 years of marriage, we still have very few TV series and movies that we enjoy watching together.  I like feel-good shows, he likes Sci-Fi and he doesn't mind violence. We watch a few things together; Downton Abbey, The Paradise, Madame Secretary, and Seahawks games. But...you will often find us either plugged-in to our own devices watching separate shows, or sometimes upstairs and downstairs watching different channels. Do you find this disturbing? I have found it keeps the peace in our marriage, and keeps me from having nightmares. Do you and your spouse like the same shows?...


I am thankful we can tape the season premiere, since we will be busy Sunday at a joyful event. Thanks to our match-making (and God's perfect timing,) two of our good friends met, fell in love, and are getting married!


My husband's family reunions always take place in Minnesota. (Unless everyone goes to Omaha.) For the third time in twenty years, the Carver clan all met up in Minnesota in June. We stayed in four cabins that were connected, and each evening we gathered to eat dinners together. I originally wished we could have met up somewhere a bit closer to the Pacific Northwest, but it turned out to be a special, memorable time. One of my favorite memories? Karaoke night!! I'm still hoping my side of the family can figure out a reunion so my kids can see their cousins, Grandma, and Aunts and Uncles. Maybe the next time one of my kids gets married?


They'll have to kick me out of MOPS someday. Since moving here to the PNW back in 1997, there have only been a few years when I haven't been involved in the MOPS ministry at our church. I LOVE what it stands for and each year the leadership does a wonderful job. I've been a participant, DGL (discussion group leader), DGL coordinator, and Mentor Mom.
"MOPS is a grassroots movement that believes moms are world influencers." 
Read more about MOPS on their national webpage.

Childhood friends grow and change yet getting back together brings joy. Over the weekend we got together with two families whose boys were best friends with our son beginning in kindergarten. We all lived in the same neighborhood and I think my boy spent more time with the other families than he did with ours! We had a progressive dinner (super fun) and caught up over food and games.

Back in the day...
All grown up and still having fun!
Dessert stop on the Progressive Dinner.

An itchy dog doesn't necessarily mean fleas. Poor Sydney. We kept treating her for fleas and she kept "eating herself raw." She really had an allergic reaction to all the flea treatments... After medicine and the cone of shame, she's almost back to her normal, adorable self. She also appreciates getting to snooze on her spot on the couch.

We should have taken the class years ago. This fall we took the Dave Ramsey class called Financial Peace University. "Live like no one else so you can live like no one else..." We've got some work ahead of us to get our finances in order. We highly recommend all couples take this course!
Waiting on God is worth it.  I wrote about us living in our rental on the island waiting to find the
right home to buy. THEN...God brought us to this amazing home in town and we are SO HAPPY!!!
All our friends agree, it is perfect for us and seems as if we were meant to live here. I have no doubt 
that God knew exactly the right downtown home for us.


I DO work at the best baby boutique in Western Washington. We even won an award that proves it, thanks to our wonderful customers.


2014 was definitely a year of adventures and blessings. Our kids are scattered (Spokane, L.A., and Nashville,) but they are thriving. My man and I are getting used to this Empty-Nester phase, and we're looking forward to all the surprises that will happen in 2015! 


From the Carver family to yours, we wish you all a very Happy New Year!! Cheers! 

I'm linking up with Emily Freeman of Chatting at the Sky.

In His Grip, 
Jane                 Thanks for stopping by See Jane Learn!




2 comments:

  1. A fun post:) We took Dave Ramsey's class twice and still have some work to do. It sure is good stuff though. Blessings to you this new year. Love, Rachael @ Inking the Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy Emily's lessons link up and the opportunity to read new writers. Poor puppy! Our dog had a scratching problem and it turned out to be her thryroid dying. I'm looking forward to the empty nest period when my daughter and her husband move out over the summer. Wishing the best for you in your new home in 2015!

    ReplyDelete